Redevelopment of The Whitby High School

Posted on January 29th, 2018

Whitby GIMP

The redevelopment of The Whitby High School in Whitby, Ellesmere Port has been awarded to John Turner Construction.

Located near Cheshire Oaks, the co-educational secondary foundation school is undergoing phased construction works whilst remaining fully operational and occupied throughout the project. The programme of works, which commences in February, includes the design and build of a single storey music and technology block to the rear of the Overpool Building. Two new covered walkways will be installed across the courtyard to provide a link to the existing buildings.

The Overpool Building was originally constructed in 1959 and operated as Ellesmere Port Grammar School. In 1963 it became a Boy’s Grammar School with a Girls Grammar School being built nearby and named the Sycamore Building. The schools then became Whitby Comprehensive in 1974 followed by a reorganisation in the 80s resulting in The Whitby High School being formed.

Supporting the 300 PAN secondary school and VI form at The Whitby High School, the construction works have been designed to consolidate departments and rationalise the curriculum delivery.

Complementing the surrounding structures, the new building will blend in with the school’s existing accommodation and blue colour theme. A metal standing seam to the central clerestory roof will be formed with domed sunpipes providing natural daylight and windcatchers for ventilation. The raised central corridor roof defines the new building’s spine and classroom separation with acoustic panelling to protect the design and technology classrooms from the music department.

The buff bricked building will house two classrooms for design and technology, two for food technology and food preparation areas. Separated by a covered link, the other half of the building will provide three music rooms each with their own practice area plus a practice court made up of six individual rooms. Pupil lockers and store rooms make up the departmental areas.