Refurbishment for The Royal College of Physicians in Liverpool
Posted on May 5th, 2017
The University of Liverpool has awarded John Turner Construction the refurbishment and fit out of the William Henry Duncan Building which will be occupied by The Royal College of Physicians (RCP).
As part of a two-phase move, RCP North will initially be located on the University’s Life Sciences campus. The building was named after William Henry Duncan, a 19th century English doctor who worked in Liverpool and was the UK's first medical officer of health. The second and third floors will provide medical training, examination and teaching facilities including offices and administration space.
The 12 week programme will include the installation of partition walls, suspended ceilings and floor finishes. Significant alterations to the existing high specification M&E services comprising upgrade of the existing heating and domestic systems with the ventilation system being recommissioned and air handling units/ducting replaced as necessary.
Founded in 1518 by Henry VIII, the RCP has established its first northern centre of excellence in Liverpool and will move to a 70,000 sq ft purpose built facility in Liverpool’s Knowledge Quarter by 2020.
Playing a varied role across healthcare and interacting with the NHS at various levels, the RCP work closely with clinicians at all career stages, hospitals, other providers and national bodies in the NHS. In addition, the RCP set physicians' exams and provide ongoing support to members and fellows throughout their careers.
Neil Hoey, Contracts Manager said ‘to be awarded such a high profile project is a great win for John Turner Construction. We have built up an excellent relationship with the University of Liverpool and this project adds to our portfolio of refurbishment and fit out projects. We look forward to welcoming The Royal College of Physicians to Liverpool and providing them with their first northern facility outside of London.’