Laying the foundation stone at Blackburn Cathedral
Posted on February 10th, 2015
John Turner contributed to creating a historical moment at the Clergy Court construction site at Blackburn Cathedral when the foundation stone was laid by The Bishop of Blackburn, Rt Rev Julian Henderson.
The foundation stone, locally sourced from a quarry in Longridge, was cemented and hammered into place by the Bishop. The trowel was handed over by architect, James Sanderson and the mallet by John Clarke, Managing Director.
The ceremony was attended by civic and county dignitaries as well as diocese clergy, the Cathedral choir and members of the congregation.
The Dean, The Very Rev Christopher Armstrong said the plans for Clergy Court had been in the making for 14 years. He added ‘we are delighted to have reached this milestone and we are indebted to the vision of William Temple, Bishop of Manchester, who created the Diocese of Blackburn in 1926.’
Due for completion in autumn of this year, Clergy Court, will consist of four townhouses and six apartments for cathedral clergy and staff with six accommodation units for organ and choir scholars. Other features will include a library, refectory, conference room, enclosed garden and an underground car park for 50 cars.
The Cathedral has remained fully operational throughout the construction works for the £5.5m prestigious Clergy Court development which forms part of a larger regeneration project in the surrounding area.
Clergy Court will contain the first complete set of cathedral domestic buildings to be constructed anywhere in the country for over 500 years.
Copyright Blackburn Diocese. Pictures by Clive Lawrence.