Sports & Fitness Centre, Liverpool
Client: University of Liverpool
John Turner was awarded this project through the University of Liverpool’s framework. The project included alterations, extension and refurbishment to the existing sports and fitness centre to create additional recreational activities.
The phased works comprised six sections which were often carried out with the client in close proximity:
- formation of a new sports hall main entrance with aluminium screens, reception desk, turnstiles and the creation of offices
- construction of new foundations and steelwork frame within the existing building to form a multi-use sports hall at first floor level featuring championship level courts for 5-a-side football, netball, volleyball and badminton. A mezzanine level was introduced to form a climbing and bouldering wall facility. The ground floor was refurbished to create a state of the art gymnasium with top of the range equipment, weights room, dance and class studio as well as remedial therapies including sports massage, body massage and reflexology
- complete refurbishment of the first floor including the construction of new offices, spinning studio, viewing gallery and new bistro cafe and social spaces
- extension and refurbishment of existing male and female changing rooms including additional showers, WC’s and individual cubicles
- refurbishment of existing staff offices and recreation area on the ground floor as well as a kitchen and dining area
- construction of an extension to create a secure storage area for the sports hall equipment.
Other works included M&E works, internal finishes, specialist flooring and sports surfaces as well as specialist equipment installation.
The project was completed whilst the Sports and Fitness Centre remained occupied and operational in all areas throughout the duration.